09 April 2008

Oh What a Day

This post by: Travis

So my wife told me that I would be the one to have to enter this post... "if you don't I will" was her wording, and as every husband knows, that's when it's time to come clean.

Really the day has been uneventful past lunch time, but it was quite the adventure this morning.

I was up late last night working on some projects, and so I didn't crawl into bed until after midnight. Needless to say I was not very cooperative with the alarm this mroning, and my hand seemed to be on auto-snooze. So I got a little bit of a late start on my morning, and realized that I had to rush out the door to make it in time to catch my usual 8:20 bus. This is the bus that drops me off a few minutes before 9, and gets me into my office at a comfortable starting hour. I had been planning on taking my tax documents to work to finish them up at lunch, but there was no time to run up and get them from the office.

I kissed Jana goodbye and drove to the park and ride. I made it just in time, but as I approached the bus I realized that my pockets seemed rather full. I reach my hand in to discover that I had BOTH my keys AND Jana's. So now I had stranded my wife at home without any option of leaving until I got home after 6. I called her, and after a short discussion I decided it best to head back home and give her the keys to her car. I would hate to leave the pregnant lady home alone with no transportation!

So off we go to the house. I get there and decide that I should go ahead and grab the tax papers while I was there so I ran up... but it took a few minutes to find them. Dang, now I am going to miss the 8:40 bus.

I head BACK to the park n ride, and sure enough, I find myself climbing onto the 9:00 bus. Now, this requires a little explanation. Every bus before 9 goes straight from Kingwood to downtown, approximately 40 minutes. After 9 they stop at 2 other park n rides on the way, 1 hour ride.

I settle into my seat on the nearly empty bus and prop my knees up against the chair in front of me. At the next stop some guy who must bathe in $2 cologne got on and sat, of all places, in the seat in front of me and proceeds to lean his seat back with all his weight onto my knees! Ugh.

After all that, I am exhausted and close my eyes for a quick cat nap. This is standard for me, I sleep on the ride about 1/3 of the time. Well this time I woke up on the south side of town, a good 20 blocks from my office. I SLEPT THROUGH MY STOP.

The worst part was, I knew I had gone too far, but I had no idea where I was. I got off the bus and just sort of started walking in the general direction I believed to be north. Turns out I was right, but it was still a long, hot, muggy walk with my heavy backpack on my back to top it all off.

So I rolled into the office around 10:20 this morning.

4 comments:

Ledbetter Fam said...

Okay!!! I am laughing harder than I have laughed in a long time. Good for you Caleb for just a little chuckle. This is hilarious!!! I'm glad the rest of your day has gone better. I hope you go to bed earlier tonight. :)

JB

Dana said...

Travis, that is hilarious! I guess that's one way to get to know Houston!

Natalie said...

Todd has left the house and gotten to work with both sets of keys TWICE THIS YEAR! No kidding! He has to figure this out (or I call him in a frantic by not being able to find my keys), and get back to the house so that I'm not late for work, too! What a mess. I'm glad you finally got to work today. I would have probably given up and called for a personal day. Or not.

The Stringers said...

That is stinkin' hilarious! I won't even pretend that I'm not laughing at you.