23 April 2008

Bad News...But With a Good Twist!

So...as all pregnant women do...I was tested for gestational diabetes. Guess what?!? I WIN! Yup...that is right, I have it! We did the one hour test, which consists of drinking 50g of a sugar/water mixure drink and waiting an hour for them to draw my blood. Usually, if you fail the one hour test, you have to go back in and do the 3 hour test (drinking more liquid and waiting for 3 hours). However, they spared me the 3 hour test because my numbers were so high. The normal numbers are between 65 and 139. Mine were 235!! Holy Cow!!!! They were all so surprised that I got it because I don't fit the profile in any way. I have always had trouble with my blood sugar levels, so honestly, I'm not completely surprised that I was the one out of all the sisters to get it! Anyway, I get to test my blood 4 times a day and eat a very strict diet. Strict in this situation doesn't necessarily mean the same thing over and over (I can be creative), but it does mean that I have to eat a certain amount of specific food groups. You would be surprised how much food I have to eat...I had a hard time eating everything I was supposed to today...and that is saying something for a prego!

It really isn't all bad. They will induce me early. The goal is July 7th. So, Mom might actually get to be here for the delivery. (I say MIGHT because that is only 3 days before she flys out to Zambia and I would not blame her one bit if she decided it was too much to try and make it!)

I don't get to go to camp in June anymore. :( That makes me very very very sad! My doctors said that they don't want me traveling that close to delivery especially with diabetes. So, I am staying home and Travis is going to camp (don't worry, my husband is not abandoning me...he asked me what I would want him to do). This actually gives me the opportunity to spend some more time with my big sister (the first one) Kari Ann. She still has to see if it will work, but I have invited her down to spend the week with me while everyone else in the family is off having fun at camp. I am excited about the chance to spend more time with her. It isn't very often I get my sisters by themselves (without the other sisters...haha...did you really think I mean without the kids around...you are crazy)!

Anyway, the statistics and "side effects" that go along with gestational diabetes (GD) are a mix of good and bad:
1) 90% of all women who have GD go back to normal within 6 weeks of delivery.
2) women who have had GD have a 65% chance of getting Type 2 diabetes within 10 years.
3) the baby has so much extra fat that they are bigger than normal (causing early delivery)

Those are just to name a few.

Well, that is it for now...keep us in your prayers! :)
Photobucket

3 comments:

Staci said...

That stinks! Oh well...you were trying to figure out how to switch due dates with me. You almost did it! lol

Unknown said...

Oh, man...that is not good. But you seem to have a really good attitude about it. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Jennifer McHam said...

Awwwww man! I'm so sorry! You have a great attitude though!! We'll be praying for all 3 of you!
xoxo
Jen