11 August 2010

Life With Diabetes

As most of you know...I now have Diabetes! I had Gestational Diabetes with both of my pregnancies and now I am a type 2 diabetic. I have been insulin dependent because I was nursing Kenley.

About 3 weeks ago, I noticed that I was starting to get really fatigued again and so I started checking my blood sugar more regularly. I was back up in the 200's (the normal average fasting level for someone with diabetes is 130). Getting up in the 200's is NOT GOOD! I was so tired that I could not stay awake. It was almost like being in the first trimester of pregnancy...you just can't get enough sleep.

So, I went to the doctor yesterday. Apparently...birth control makes your blood sugar shoot up! Well...THAT would have been nice to know!!!! Grrr....

I just started birth control again since I stopped nursing Kenley. Yup...I started it 3 weeks ago. Exactly when my numbers went up. I am now taking a higher dosage of insulin, but he also put me on Metformin. Our goal is to get me off of insulin all together. Yay!!!

We will see what happens.

____________________________________________________________________

Here is the video of Kenley crawling...

1 comment:

Jennifer McHam said...

Metformin is exactly what I took! Have been off and on since the kids were born to help regulate my PCOS symptoms. It's a miracle drug!! Hope it works great for you!! xoxo.